Pretty much all kids love pasta with cheese… in fact if we weren’t all carb fearing, dairy avoiding food fun sappers I would say most ADULTS would love pasta with cheese too!
If your kids could wolf down pasta with cheese sauce on a daily basis try this variation on a theme. I adapted it years ago after a meal I had at the RIver Cafe in London and I’ve never looked back. It is a standby meal that takes 15 mins, pleases all ages and looks pretty delish in a big white bowl. Make it with your kids – and it is so simple I’m sure it wont be long til they do most of the work on this one.
I’ll post a pic next time I make this one.
PASTA WITH CHERRY TOMATOES, RICOTTA AND BASIL
To serve a family of 4 you need:
1 and a half punnets cherry toms
250g ricotta (try to get the firm one from the deli)
2 handfuls basil leaves, torn
400g pasta – I use Orechiette if I can, but any short shape will do
2 garlic cloves
Big glug or 2 of olive oil
HERE’S WHAT YOU DO:
– put pasta into water to cook til al dente
– cut cherry toms and half and get your kids to squeeze out the juice and seeds into a cup (my 6yo drinks this)
– add garlic and olive oil and some S&P to the tomatoes and leave to soak up flavours
– when pasta is cooked drain and add the toms mix to the pan – stir over medium heat to slightly soften
– add pasta to the tomatoes and stir to coat in flavour
– add ricotta in chunks to the pasta and then stir through the torn basil
You are done!
If your kids/you like a strong cheese flavour grate some parmesan over when you serve
This is a no fail standby for me – let me know how this goes down with the pasta and cheese lovers in your household! x