There are very few foods that I just can’t stand – but bananas are my all time pet hate. Can’t stand there smell of them, the texture of them or anything about them other than their health benefits. I defined the unconditional lover felt for my kids as babies by my desire to mash bananas and feed them to them – all that banana smell, mess and general banana handling would not be possible without a parent’s love!
that said, there are always bananas in our fruit bowl and my kids both love them.
The one thing more “offensive” to me than a regular banana is a banana skin left in my car or in a bin and a close second to that is the smell of a banana that’s close to the end of its useful life. Well, the warm weather played havoc with about 6 bananas in my fruit bowl so last night, whilst preparing for a business trip, I made a couple of loaves of banana bread. I always make a couple of loaves and keep one in the freezer as my family love it but I ain’t doing the mashing for one measly loaf. So the quantities below make 2 loaves. enjoy!
WHAT YOU NEED
4 bananas – mashed with some cinnamon
80g butter – melted
80ml rice bran oil
1 cup brown sugar
2 cups self raising flour
2 cups plain flour
2 tsp vanilla
WHAt TO DO
– beat oil, butter, sugar and vanilla together until light
– beat in each egg seperately
– mix in batches banana and flours
– pour into 2 loaf pans greased and lined with paper – I leave paper hanging over edges and fold over top of batter
– bake at 180 for 70 mins – make sure the paper covers for first 45 mins only